by Deena Bradford, LPN
Q. Ask the Nurse: What are chiggers and red bugs and what do I need to know?
- Keep the areas clean by using a mild soap and water.
- Apply Calamine lotion or a hydrocortisone cream.
- Try taking an oral antihistamine like Benadryl.
- Wear proper outside attire. Pants, long-sleeved shirts, thick socks, and tuck pants into boots or shoes.
- Use a mosquito repellant.
- Be aware of the outside temperature. Chiggers will not bite in temperatures lower that 60 degrees and they are not found in areas warmer than 99 degrees.
- After an outdoor activity with suspected exposure, remove clothing and wash it, and bathe washing with soap and water. If you or your family do get bitten watch they sites for infection. If you start to lose the chigger bite battle, contact your physician for a more aggressive treatment option.